If you are thinking about returning to practice and want to talk to us about how we can support you in this, get in touch by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to Practice
Were you once a nurse? Have you been away from practice and thinking about returning?
We know that returning to practice is a big decision, and we are supporting Healthier Together and fellow health and care partners across Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire to support you every step of the way. Read more about the work we’ve been doing to support nurses to return to practice here.
Want to learn more?
- Visit the University of the West of England Return to Practice website page here: https://bit.ly/SMAlwaysanurse
- Read Healthier Together’s Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire Return to Practice Guide – https://bit.ly/bnssgrtpguide
- Return to Practice: Your Academic Study – WEBINAR – https://bit.ly/RTPYourAcademicStudy
- Return to Practice: – WEBINAR – https://bit.ly/RTPYourPlacement #AlwaysANurse #WeAreReturningNurses #AlwaysANurse
We currently do not have any apprenticeship opportunities on offer; however, we are continually working to expand our offering so please check back with us regularly.
Meet Nicole, Cim and John; three of our employees undertaking the Registered Degree Nurse Apprenticeship
What is an Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships are for people aged 16 or over (no maximum age limit), living in England and not in full-time education. They last for a minimum of 12 months and combine hands-on work with the opportunity to train and obtain qualifications. It’s also a paid position, so you earn while you learn! At least 20% of your time is set aside for learning, usually at a college, university of other training provider. The rest of your time is spent applying your knowledge and skills in the actual workplace, doing the job that you set out to get. At the end of it, you’ll gain official certification, which will be equivalent to traditional qualifications.
In more recent times, apprenticeships have been embraces as a viable alternative to university, with more and more young people opting for the apprenticeship route to achieve the same end goal. Apprenticeship levels are set as and equivalent to:
- 2 (Intermediate): GCSEs
- 3 (Advanced): A-levels
- 4 (Higher): Foundation Degree
- 5 (Higher): Foundation Degree / First year of Bachelor’s Degree
- 6 (Degree): Bachelor’s Degree
- 7 (Degree): Master’s Degree
How does HSH support Apprenticeships?
At HSH, we are proud of the extensive apprentice opportunities we offer to our existing employees, to new employees, and even to prospective employees. We work with Health Education England and the BNSSG Healthier Together Learning Hub to obtain and allocate funding from the national apprenticeship levy in order to offer these opportunities. For anyone undertaking an apprenticeship with us, we also offer rates of pay significantly higher than the apprenticeship minimum wage, making it more feasible for apprentices to financially support themselves during their course.
We have already showcased our commitment to developing our people by joining the 5% Club; an industry led initiative focused on driving momentum into the recruitment of apprentices, graduates and sponsored students. Over 12% of our workforce is currently enrolled on an apprenticeship course and we achieved gold member status with the 5% Club in November 2021.
We all know that there is a national shortage of nurses. This isn’t a new issue, but it has really come under the spotlight as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Our nurse workforce has finally received the acknowledgement and appreciation that it has long deserved, but more needs to be done. We need more nurses, and nursing apprenticeships are a fantastic way of achieving that. We also support non-clinical apprenticeships for managers, administration and support staff.
University isn’t for everyone, and we have seen all too often that many people have been put off of pursuing their desired career because they don’t feel capable of going to university, or because university doesn’t fit alongside other commitments and responsibilities they have in their lives. Yet many of these people do have what it takes to achieve and succeed in their desired career… And that’s where apprenticeships come in!
Being able to stay in paid employment whilst completing a degree offers people a whole new way of reaching their goals. It removes the initial ‘fear’ of academic study, it addresses financial concerns, and it provides greater support throughout the learning process.
Why does HSH support Apprenticeships?
Hiring apprentices is a productive and effective way to grow talent and develop a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce. According to HM Government:
- 86% of employers said apprenticeships helped them develop skills relevant to their organisation
- 78% of employers said apprenticeships helped them improve productivity
- 74% of employers said apprenticeships helped them improve the quality of their product or service
Apprenticeships help us to:
- Boost the skills of our workforce
- Improve economic productivity
- Increase employee satisfaction
- Reduce employee turnover
- Reduce recruitment costs
- Create a talent pipeline for the future
Why should you consider an Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships give aspiring professionals the real world experience they need to achieve and succeed in their chosen career path. For many, the apprenticeship route is not such an obvious choice, but for individuals keen to get started in employment, an apprenticeship is an excellent way of gaining essential experience and qualifications at the same time. Below are more reasons why an apprenticeship may be the best choice for you
- Earn while you learn – Apprentices have the same opportunities as employees, earning a weekly wage and working alongside experienced staff. The current National Minimum Wage rate for an apprentice is £4.30 per hour, but at HSH we offer at least the national minimum wage of £8.36 per hour.
- Receive student discounts – As an apprentice, you can register as a student with the relevant college/university/training provider. Once you get your student ID card, you can benefit from a large range of student discounts!
- No debt – University can lead to debts in excess £30,000 by the time a person graduates. By embarking on an apprenticeship, you won’t be weighed down by tuition fees or debt by the time you graduate. In fact, your employer will be paying you to gain a qualification instead
- Practical and relevant experience – Apprenticeships are designed with the help of employers, and offer a structured programme that coaches you through the skills you need to be successful. You will learn from experienced professionals on the job, and will also be trained externally at a local college or specialist training organisation. You will also be set targets to ensure that you are well supported and that you are progressing at an appropriate speed.
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification – Along with comprehensive training, you will also gain a work-based qualification.
- Develop your skills and progression opportunities – Apprenticeships offer people the opportunity to develop in their chosen career path. This means that we can guide and train you until you are a skilled and reliable part of the workforce, increasing the chances of you staying on within our business.
What Apprenticeships does HSH support?
We are currently supporting employees through the following Apprenticeships:
Career Ready is the national charity at the heart of a network of educators and employers who all believe that every young person deserves the opportunity to kick-start a rewarding future. In 2021, HSH has worked with Career Ready to support young people to develop their ‘Skills for Career Success’ by presenting a range of masterclasses, including:
- Effective Communication Networking: learning the communication and networking skills needed for career success
- Success at Interviews: exploring the skills needed for success in interviews
- Preparing for Work: Developing an understanding of how best to prepare for the world of work
We are extremely proud to be doing our bit to support the next generation of workers, and Career Ready has given us a flexible and rewarding way to do this.
Every subject area in Weston College has signed up to the Career Excellence Charter, which further cements Weston College’s ethos of providing careers and not courses, with students having access to employers, which brings opportunities to maximise their potential and showcase their talent.
In September 2021, HSH became a Future Talent Business Partner of Weston College. This represented the beginning of a partnership that will see HSH supporting students at Weston College by running employment workshops, offering placements and supporting masterclasses. Read the full press release here.
We are thrilled to be working with Weston College and to be playing our part in building the future talent that our industry needs.